Saturday, October 29, 2011

The first few days

During the first couple of days, I was very tired and could only manage to keep my head above water and not freak out. Don't get me wrong--I've enjoyed myself immensely; but yesterday (Saturday) became a bit much.

Katherine, Danny, Peter, and I went into town to run errands. As we were driving, I said, "We're going north, right?" To my surprise, they said, "No, we're actually going south!" Whether you believe it or not, the angle of the sun was so different from California that I really thought we were going the opposite way to what we were really going! That messed me up, quite frankly. I've always wanted to know where north was because then I know my surroundings. So to know that I was completely turned around (and not feel like it) was very disconcerting, to say the least.

The men dropped us women off at the shops and then went on with their business. Katherine and I signed me up for a bank account and put some money in first, then did our shopping. The whole time we were walking from shop to shop, I kept trying to get it into my head that north was south, east was west, etc. etc. Then other things started to get to me. The NZ dollar is different than the US dollar. The culture is slightly different, too, but in such a sneaky way that I became extremely self conscious to not do anything socially considered faux pas. Then the fact that I am the one with accent and everyone else speaks normally was icing on the cake. My poor brain became so muddled and confused that my decision-making paradigm fell apart. I was indecisive, hesitant, and not much of a person I enjoy being around. (Having to remember to say "I'm sorry?" instead of "What?" when I couldn't hear what someone said was SO exasperating, as well.)

We were done shopping in the early afternoon. To my wonder (and dismay), my interpretation of the angle of the sun said that it was late morning. The sun was in the east, I could have sworn it! But I knew (with my intellect, and nothing else) that the sun was in the west, and that north was south. So, so strange.

Later, Danny, Katherine, and I went to look at a car that I might possibly buy. Nothing super exciting, though it's manual and not automatic. I don't know how to drive manual. And the stick is on the left, not the right. Hah! At least the clutch, gas, and break are all in the same order as in the States! I'm willing to learn how to drive it, though. We'll take it into the shop tomorrow and see if everything is on the up-and-up.

The rest of the day wound down nicely. Katherine, Danny, and I had some dinner, then they brought me home. I had a quiet evening in my room for a while, then Peter, Arna, and I had some ice cream and fruit, and I played them a few songs on my uke. I went to bed around 10, satisfied that at least I had had a long day to peg my exhaustion to!

I woke up an hour earlier than I needed to this morning. I decided to stay in bed so that I could rest up as much as I could (something I neglected to do yesterday). I'd forgotten how nice it is to just lie in bed and doze in and out! After an hour of this, my alarm clock (a new cellphone) went off with this: "It's time to get up. The time is 8:00. It's time to get up. The time is 8:00." It was a harsh (and almost bitter?) voice. Cold and uncaring. I'll make sure to change the alarm to a more pleasant tune next time. Either that, or I'll just name her Judith and have someone to yell at every morning. :)

That's really all I have to say right now. Except that we went to church and had a nice time. I think everyone is coming over this afternoon for tea and muffins, which will be nice. But for now, I'll enjoy sipping my tea next to an open window, and enjoy listening to birds and distant waves. I'll post more pictures.

Thanks for reading! Extra peace for you, wherever you are,

Sarah

P.S. Today is Sunday. For those of you in the States, I am 20 hours ahead. An easy way to figure this out is to take four hours away from your time and add a day. So if it's 8:30pm on Saturday for you, then it's 4:30pm on Sunday for me. See?

P.P.S. I tried vegemite, and I liked it! Peter put a thin (very thin) layer of it between a cracker and cheese, and I enjoyed it. I even had some for breakfast this morning on a crumpet. I'm also starting to enjoy my tea with just milk, no sugar. I'll make a fine Kiwi yet. :)

3 comments:

  1. If you end up getting that car. Have fun learning to drive a stick shift. And as I am assuming they drive on the other side of the road there have fun with that too. It may take some getting used to. And I am glad you got some extra sleep because you probably needed it. I'm glad you got to go to church too. Most of all I am just glad you are having a great time in NZ. ~ Sarah Hart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I will be praying for you that God will surround you with His peace. Because being in a new place on the other side of the world can be fun but it can be overwhelming too. ~ Sarah Hart

    ReplyDelete