Thursday, November 10, 2011

Developments!

My feet are sore, my muscles are tired, my face is burned, and my nose is still trying to get the crusties out of it. And I am quite, quite happy. You see, I got a job.

Remember when Arna and I went job hunting? Actually, maybe I didn't tell you. Okay. So about a week and a half ago (the second Monday I was here), Arna took me for a drive and we visited a riding stable (here they're called "equestrian centers"), a veterinary clinic, and a feed store (called an "equestrian supplies shop"). At each place, I went up to the person who looked like they were in charge, introduced myself (with a winning smile), and said I was looking for a job.

The people at the stable were really nice and liked me, and asked if I could come out in a couple of weekends (as they were busy during the next one) to see how everything is run there. I gave them my resume (which they were impressed with... yay university degree!), they gave me their number, and we promised to keep contact and figure everything out later in the week.

At the vet clinic, the two women seemed like they considered themselves too busy to be bothered, and even told me there weren't any job opportunities in the whole of Dairy Flat (the area that we were in). I laughed silently, as we had just come from a stable that had seemed promising. It's okay. I didn't want to work inside at a clinic, anyway. :)

At the feed store, I talked to a very nice lady (who was also impressed with my resume) who thought she might know of an opportunity for me to work with a family who breed water-buffalo. (Water-buffalo?!) We exchanged contact information as well, and Arna and I went home, pleased with the results of our hunt.

A few days later, I texted both the stable and the feed store, and only the stable got back to me, saying, "Hi! I haven't forgotten you!" and promised to contact me after their busy weekend.

On Tuesday, the stable people texted me and asked if I could come the following morning! I said yes, and Arna gave me a ride to them on Wednesday morning.

Before I continue with that thread, I need to catch you up on the car stuff. On Saturday, Danny and I went hunting for cars. We found a cute red hatchback that seemed to be in good condition (it was AFTER I asked Holy Father to drop a car into my lap), and I decided to get it checked out by a mechanic. So on Monday afternoon, the mechanic called and said that it would need a good amount of work done--about $800... which was very disappointing. So Arna and I (though mostly Arna; she's amazing) looked online for more cars, and on Tuesday we went to the city and looked at a few. (We also visited Arna's step-father, which was very nice.) Two of the three cars we looked at were possibilities, but by the end of it, I was so tired, so grumpy, and so overwhelmed with life that I didn't trust myself to make any decisions. As we drove home, we decided to stop by the car yard that the red hatchback was stationed at, where I planned to tell the dealer that it was a no-go. Once we got there, though, he said that he'd lower the price by about $900 and fix the essentials enough to make it safe and sturdy, as well as get a WOF for it (Warrant Of Fitness, something all cars are required by law to get every six months), and three months registration. Lowering the price this much now made this car (my favorite of all my options) the least expensive and most convenient (all of the other options' registrations and WOFs were either expired or were soon to be), and I already knew everything that was wrong or okay with it because of the mechanic's work, so I prayed again. Father basically said, "Well, what do you want to do?" I decided I really did like it and all things considered, it was a fine choice. So I decided to get it. (To which He replied, "See? I told you I dropped it into your lap!" Though I did have to do a whole lot to confirm it! *sigh* Oh well.)

So that was on Tuesday.

On Wednesday morning, Arna took me to the equestrian center, where instead of being shown around the place and interviewed for the job (as I was expecting), I started work. I mucked out stalls, filled them with fluffy shavings (nice horse bedding), showered a horse, walked another one around, stood with one as a farrier worked on his feet, etc. etc, regular barn work. (Now I really know that horses are horses, no matter what part of the planet you're on. They eat, poop, and need exercise. And this, I am quite familiar with!) I worked there from 8 to 2:30, when Arna came to pick me up. It was more work than I've done in a long time, but none of it was foreign and the people were really nice to talk to. (No joke, I felt like I was in a movie. These big, beautiful horses around, in an area with green, rolling hills, the clouds drizzling every once in a while, and everyone talking in delightful accents! We even stopped for a break of coffee and tea!) At the end of it, I was quite tired, but happy to be back home (with the horses).

The car wasn't ready to be picked up until 6, so I got a nice nap between getting home and going to sign the paperwork and everything. Once that all got done, they handed me the keys, showed me where everything was in the car (some things are backwards, but nothing too important; I'll just probably turn on the windshield wipers when I want to turn left sometimes), and bade me "good luck." Arna led me home where I realized I was getting stiff from my activity and VERY tired from all the new excitement of the day. I had a pleasant evening, went to bed early (before 10:00! Can you believe it?!), and had anxiety-ridden dreams (oh, how I hate those).

I was nervous to drive to the stable all by myself, and I had to fill up with petrol on the way. But I did it just fine (I'm sure Arna prayed for me, and it worked), and arrived at work at 8am sharp. I was there until 6. During the day, I did the barn chores that I also did the day before, as well as watch a vet examine a few horses (he said maybe I can go with him on his appointments sometime!), do spring cleaning in a few closets and shelves, and, of course, sit and drink tea with everyone.

It was very pleasant... and hard work. I am SORE. My feet are KILLING ME. My poor face didn't have any sunscreen on it, and the sun came out at about 11, so it got a lot of it. I had fun driving home, though--fun! That's a good thing, because it would be so miserable to not enjoy driving.

Okay, that's the scoop. 

Water-buffalo. Don't worry. I didn't know what
they looked like, either. Thanks, Google.
May peace that you don't understand cover you wherever you are, however you need it to. Thanks for reading,

Sarah

P.S. I'd put pictures of my car up, but I don't have any and I am NOT about to walk on my poor feet out to get any. I'll put some up later. You might like this picture, though.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah! I"m so glad that you are getting settled into your new surroundings. It's fun to read about your adventures... I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete